A Christmas Miracle




This is about a small miracle.  No fireworks or obvious magic; still, it showed God’s favor.  

It happened yesterday, Christmas Eve (day) in the Rockaway Shop Rite.

Like many husbands, I was engaged in yet one more shopping trip to get one more thing for our Christmas Dinner.  I have been doing this on and off since last Thursday, shopping at the Costco and two local Shop Rites.  My wife was engaged in getting the house ready, baking cookies and making preparations for the Christmas Dinner.  I helped too, but my tolerance for disorder makes my work useless.  Monta would need to clean up after my cleaning.  So I do more of the shopping than anything else.  

The search for meat was over.  After reading the recipe we had two choices for beef; after a bit of Googling, we settled on a top-round - supposedly more tender than a shoulder.  On Friday, I checked out the meat case to see where the top-rounds were.   With that done, we needed to see how long a roast could stay fresh in the refrigerator.  With a 3-5 day shelf life, we decided to buy ours on Sunday.  When I showed up Sunday Morning for my prize, the meat case had no top-top-rounds, but one of the butchers said they had more in the back.  I was saved.  

Then there were the mushrooms.  The recipe required 2-4 ounces of dried porcini mushroom.  I looked for these on Friday at 2 stores and found none.  I even asked staff for help.  We found none.  We regroup and determined that Shitake mushrooms could be substituted, so on Saturday I managed to buy some at the Wharton Shop-Rite.  But fresh mushrooms would require reducing the fluid in the recipe.

Still satisfied that we were ok with the mushrooms, we went out for more chips and dip as well as more soda.  This was Monday, Christmas Eve day.  My wife asked me to look one more time for the dried porcini mushrooms - and there on the shelf in the vegetable aisle just above the fresh mushrooms were 2 bags, 1 ounce each, of dried porcini mushrooms.  

Yes, 2 bags, just what I needed.  No more.  

So, I picked them up and moved on the the check out.   God’s favor shone upon our household. 

Oh - that’s it?  

Yes.  God granted a small favor to my wife.  No doubt answering a call for help.  


Not a big deal but what were you expecting?  A MIRACLE?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Twins

Our Biggest Failure - Our Constitution.

Fake News - About Religious Freedom